Advanced · Powerful · Indispensable
The Ultimate Avionics Test and Simulation Appliance
The Ballard OmniBusBox II (OBB2) enables computers and networks to interface with multiple avionics databuses for testing, validating and simulating commercial and military avionics equipment and systems. The OBB2 is the next generation of our popular OmniBusBox product with faster I/O and processing capabilities. These versatile units can be controlled through Ethernet or USB or can be programmed to operate standalone.
The OBB2 is highly configurable and includes built-in standard peripherals (Ethernet, serial, and USB), along with four internal Cores that can be populated with a variety of databus protocols and discrete I/O modules. With the newest advanced set of MIL-STD-1553 and ARINC 429 modules, users can verify wave form compatibilities, test functions of bus shorts and opens, and—when combined with our CoPilot® software—perform lab, production and flight test verification and simulation right out of the box.
Readily available as Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) products, the OBB2 is perfect for challenging simulation, test, interface, bridging, control, simulation and data recording applications.
The Highly Flexible Databus Interface Solution
Flexibility is an understatement with the OmniBusBox II. This high-performance device includes an array of functional features and a modular I/O design. When ordering, just add the combination of modules to get the exact mix of I/O you need. When your needs change, the modules can be changed.
With the OBB2, you get:
- Multiple I/O module configurations
- Dual core PPC embedded processor
- Interface via Ethernet USB 3.0
- Multiple protocols
- Extensive timing features
- Return to factory settings feature
- Accepts lab and aircraft power (AC)
Get the Exact Interface You Need with the OmniBusBox II Modular Design
How it works...
Each OmniBusBox II includes an array of functional features included with the base configuration. Avionics I/O is added through the use of interchangeable modules. When ordering the OmniBusBox II product, you can specify the combination of modules for the exact mix of I/O you need. OmniBusBox II products can accept a maximum of two or four modules (depending on model ordered), and each module has its own circuitry to handle the channels and protocols associated with it.
For OmniBusBox II ordering information, click here.
Two OmniBusBox II Versions Are Available to Match Your Requirements
Four I/O Cores
The four-I/O-core version of the OBB2 accepts up to four (4) I/O modules and includes expansion sites for: PMC/XMC, Mini-PCIe, and mSATA memory storage.
Two I/O Cores
Easy-to-Use Network Appliance
The cost-effective two-I/O-core version of the OBB2 accepts up to two (2) I/O modules. This version does not include expansion capability.
OmniBusBox II at a Glance
At the heart of the OmniBusBox II is a P1022 Freescale PowerPC processor and the Ballard FPGA protocol engines. In addition to the built-in standard peripherals and core I/O functions, PMC/XMC and Mini-PCIe sites in the 4-core version provide customer expansion capabilities such ARINC 664, CAN, IEEE 1394 and wireless protocols. The OBB2 includes extensive timing synchronization with multiple sources. The 1U high case is easily placed on a desk or rack mountable. Though designed primarily as a lab product, the OBB2 has potential for use in large fixed-wing aircraft and light vehicle applications.
- Simulation of databus and I/O system traffic
- Data and protocol conversion
- Databus and network bridging
- Data servers
- Data recorders
- Radio controls including VoIP
- MIL-STD-1553 - Up to 2 dual-redundant, single- or multi-function channels per module
- ARINC 429 - Up to 16 Tx/Rx configurable channels per module; advanced ARINC 429 modules are also available with added test features
- ARINC 717 - Up to 4R/4T channels per module
- ARINC 708 - Up to 2R/2T channels per module
- Serial - Up to 4 Serial UARTs per module
- Avionics Discrete I/O - 32 programmable Input/Output per module
- P1022 Freescale dual core PPC (800MHz)
- 2 Ethernet ports (10/100/1000)
- 2 RS-232/422/485 (selectable)
- 1 USB 3.0 device port
- Input power: 110-240VAC, 60 or 400Hz
- 10 MHz/PPS clock synchronization
- IRIG A or B, AM, PWM and PPS
- 64-bit hardware time tag (1ns resolution)
Cables & Accessories
A wide variety of cables and accessories are available to complement these products.
Browse Cables & Accessories
Let's Start the Conversation
For more information or to request a quote, fill out the form below or call us at: +1.425.339.0281