NETWORK SERIES AVIONICS COMPUTERS
AB3000 Series Information
|Model||More Info||Description||Processor||Audio/Video||Power Supply||Notable Features|
|AB3000 Series 1||Click here||Original Series||Intel Atom E680T, 32-bit||Yes||Isolated||PMC expansion|
|AB3000 Series 2||Click here||Power Efficient Series||Intel Atom E680T, 32-bit||Yes||Enhanced high-efficiency, non-isolated||PMC expansion|
|AB3000 Series N||On this page||Integrated Network Series||QorIQ T1040, 64-bit, quad core||No||Enhanced high-efficiency, non-isolated||Integrated on-chip 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch|
AB3000 Series N
Solve challenging avionics processing and interfacing problems with the AB3000 Network Series from Astronics Ballard Technology, the first small form-factor COTS mission computer featuring a 64-bit Power Architecture embedded processor with integrated managed Gigabit Ethernet switch.
Boost performance with the 64-bit embedded QorIQ T1040 quad-core processor.
Reduce data latency and power with the integrated on-chip Gigabit Ethernet switch.
Minimize risk; Ballard's low-SWaP devices are rigorously qualified and proven in the field.
Network-Integrated Embedded Computers
The AB3000 ‘Series N’ from Astronics Ballard Technology is a highly-flexible, COTS solution ideally suited for a distributed system architecture on civil and military platforms. This compact device merges 64-bit Quad Core processing, high throughput Gigabit Ethernet, and a wide array of conventional avionics I/O into a powerful control and communication solution that provides rapid deployment with no up-front NRE.
Avionics I/O Powerhouse
The AB3000 Series N is optimized to interface with, collect, process, and distribute avionics data. The unit can serve as the main infrastructure component for a distributed system architecture (mission system), or be employed for a variety of interfacing, bridging or control operations. I/O options include MIL-STD-1553 and ARINC databus protocols, serial, discrete, USB and Ethernet. The integral, 8-port Gigabit Ethernet switch interfaces with a variety of systems and reliably moves large amounts of data to where it is needed.
Rugged and SWaP-C Optimized
The AB3000 Series N tightly integrates all of this functionality into a small, lightweight SWaP-C optimized (Size, Weight, and Power plus Cost) enclosure that meets military requirements for shock, vibration, temperature, humidity and pressure. It is small and light enough for use in UAVs and capable enough to handle complex, large-scale aircraft systems.
- Key component of an aircraft distributed system architecture
- QorIQ® 64-Bit Quad Core Processor
- Integral 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch with managed or unmanaged operation
- Flexible write protect capability
- Wide range of avionics and computer I/O including: MIL-STD-1553, ARINC 429, 717, Serial, Discrete, Ethernet, and USB 2.0 Host
- Pre-qualified COTS hardware solution
- Robust SDK to facilitate the development and deployment of customer software
- Ideal for Open Mission Systems (OMS) implementations
Powerful Application Solutions
The AB3000 Series (also called the Avionics BusBox 3000 or simply Ballard Box) is a small form factor system that delivers outstanding performance on the ground or in the air. It is easily deployed on UAV, helicopter, fixed wing, and ground mobile platforms. Here are just a few uses:
- Data and protocol conversion
- Databus and network bridging
- Data serving
- Data recording
- Power controllers
- Federated controllers
- Ethernet switching
The following interfaces are available on common COTS configurations:
- MIL-STD-1553 - Up to 4 dual redundant channels
- ARINC 429 - Up to 12 channels
- ARINC 717 - Up to 2 channels (Biphase/Bipolar)
- Avionics Discrete I/O - Up to 48 programmable Input/Outputs
Standard Computer Interfaces
All models have the following interfaces:
- RS-232/422 - 2 ports (selectable)
- Ethernet Host (10/100/1000 Mbps) - 2 ports
- Ethernet Switch (10/100/1000 Mbps) - 8 ports
- USB 2.0 Host - 2 ports
- IRIG A or B, AM (input), PWM, and PPS
- NXP QorIQ T1040 64-bit 1.2 GHz Quad Core Processor
- 2 GB of DDR3L-1600 SDRAM
- 8 GB solid-state storage
- Real Time Clock with backup power
- Temperature monitoring
- Power: 28 VDC nominal
- Extended Temperature
- Conduction or convection cooled
- DO-160, MIL-STD-810, MIL-STD-461
- Compact enclosure: 5.3 x 7.7 x 2.8 in (135 x 195 x 71 mm)
- Weight: 5.2 lb (2.4 kg)
- Horizontal & vertical chassis options
- Universal BTIDriver API for C/C++, C#, VB, VB.Net, and LabVIEW™
- Embedded Linux OS and SDK (uses Yocto toolchain targeting Linux 4.1 LTSI)
Embedded or Tethered Operation
There are two ways software can operate the AB3000, either embedded or tethered. Embedded programs are typically first developed on a host computer and then uploaded to the AB3000's universal BTIDriver non-volatile solid-state storage. At power-on the embedded application boots and runs without host intervention. The tethered case is where a separate computer runs the application and controls the AB3000 over Ethernet.
For more information or to request a quote, call +1.425.339.0281 or complete the form above.
Astronics offers a wide variety of AB3000 Series N configurations so you can select a unit that closely meets your application needs. The following are a few example configurations:
|AB3186xN||Standard features plus 2 dual-redundant multi-function MIL-STD-1553, 8R/4T ARINC 429, 1R/1T ARINC 717 channels|
|AB3180xN||Standard features plus 2 dual-redundant multi-function MIL-STD-1553 channels|
|AB3146xN||Standard features plus 8R/4T ARINC 429 and 1R/1T ARINC 717 channels|
|AB3581xN||Standard features plus 4R/4T ARINC 429, 4 dual-redundant multi-function MIL-STD-1553 channels, and 20 avionics discretes|